A ranch style house provides everything you need on one level. Its open floor plan, attached garage, and gabled roof deliver practical features that make the home functional for people of all ages. A ranch home usually has a patio with easy entry from the home via its sliding glass doors. This simple style suits young families to aging seniors with its accessible layout.
Natural light abounds inside a ranch home due to its generously sized windows. Its low roofline and cross ventilation help keep it cool and comfortable with refreshing breezes. This timeless house style has been a favorite throughout America since its inception in the 1930s. During the 1950s, 90% of the new homes that were built were ranch homes.
Ranch homes easily take on a wide variety of looks, and can be personalized to express your style both inside and out. If your home is in need of updates, its exterior is a great place to start.
How to Update a Ranch Style Home
Siding Ideas for a Ranch House
If durability, longevity, and beauty are your priorities, fiber cement siding is a fabulous choice for a ranch style home. Its makeup of cement, sand, and cellulose ensures it will stand up to the elements 24/7 and endure even severe weather while still looking gorgeous over the years.
James Hardie is the most popular manufacturer of fiber cement siding, and they offer great styles that can bring out the best in your ranch home.
- HardiePlank—This classic horizontal lap siding gives your ranch home a timeless look and enhances its charm. If you’d like to achieve a Craftsman style look with your ranch home, simply choose lap siding and wood elements, then add HardieShingle on your gables. This personalized look will increase your home’s value.
- HardiePanel—This modern-looking vertical siding gives your home an updated appearance. If you desire a modern Farmhouse flair, simply begin with wide vertical panels (boards) and add HardieTrim as thin vertical strips (battens) to cover the seams between your vertical panels. While the wide panels work functionally as your home’s protective layer, the thin strips give your exterior personality and a contemporary feel.
- Note: For visual interest, you can utilize the board-and-batten look combined with horizontal lap siding to accent your home’s best features and create a textured look.
- HardieShingle—If you love the look of cedar shake siding but you aren’t fond of its high maintenance needs, HardieShingle is your answer. Its low maintenance, durability and longevity gives you the best of fiber cement’s features: beauty and easy upkeep. You can use this attractive siding on your whole house exterior or simply accent your gables with it.
- Aspyre Collection—As the most recent siding style added to the Hardie line, this modern collection gives you the opportunity to give your home a strong contemporary look with a high level of design.
- Artisan Collection—If you are looking for sleek, modern flair, you’re going to love this 5/8-inch thick siding. It satisfies even the most distinct contemporary taste, and will give your ranch home a fabulous, updated vibe.
- HardieTrim—Add the perfect finishing touch to your ranch home with durable trim made of the same material as Hardie siding. Accent your home’s windows, doors, and more with sophistication and color.
- HardieSoffit—Don’t leave out your roof eaves and porch ceiling when updating your home with Hardie siding.
- The Dream Collection—Cover your ranch dwelling with the look you’ve dreamed of by choosing from over 700 different gorgeous ColorPlus finishes.
Colors and Textures for Ranch Home Exteriors
Before adding color or texture to your exterior, take a careful look at the homes that surround yours, as well as your landscaping. Decide if you would prefer to stand out or blend in.
Create visual interest by giving your exterior texture and layers. Consider using a mixture of materials that work together to personalize your home. This is your opportunity to get creative!
- Add texture with a rustic chic look. The board-and-batten look is a beautiful way to update your ranch home. Its vertical panels draw your eye upward and make your home look taller.
- Don’t shy away from dark colors. Consider a darker color to give your home a modern Farmhouse flair.
- Mix things up a bit for visual interest. Give your home a traditional feel by using shingle siding for its accents and board-and-batten siding on the remainder of its exterior.
- Choose a color that complements your home. Add an accent color on your shingles to make them stand out, or if you prefer—choose a monochromatic look by making them the same hue as your siding.
- Let the designers take the guesswork out of your home’s new color. James Hardie’s ColorPlus® technology not only gives you factory baked-on color that is warrantied for 15 years against peeling, flaking, and chipping, but they also created perfect color combinations that will make your home stand out.
- The Statement Collection—Your ranch house will look fabulous in the Dayton, Ohio area’s most popular ColorPlus technology colors. Locally stocked and readily accessible, these colors deliver the beauty you deserve.
Update Your Ranch Style Home with Ease
At American Way Exteriors, we take the stress out of home remodeling. We listen to your desires, and don’t do high pressure sales. We educate you on the value and benefits of siding materials and installation. Next, we create an itemized proposal customized to fit your project and budget. Communication stays fluid throughout your home’s upgrade, with regular photos and updates from your project manager.
We specialize in James Hardie siding installation and highly recommend it because it stands up to Ohio’s harshest elements, and keeps looking beautiful for decades.
Contact us to get a quote on beautiful replacement siding for your ranch style home.