Everything You Need to Know About Getting a New Roof and What to Expect During the Roof Replacement Process
The joys of being a homeowner are vast: pride in a place of your own, the ability to customize your house to your style and comfort preferences, and a space to share with your loved ones. But one of the other “joys?” Maintaining the integrity of your home. And it doesn’t get much more integral than your roof, which shields your home from moisture, invasive pests, and the elements.
As a homeowner, you want a durable, attractive roof. The problem? So many roofing materials and roofing contractors don’t live up to your expectations. When you need a roof replacement, you want high-quality roofing materials and impeccable installation all at an affordable price.
What Are the Benefits of a New Roof?
There’s no denying: It’s time for a new roof. While replacing your home’s worn-out roof can feel like an obligation, a home roof replacement is actually an opportunity to make significant improvements to the appearance and value of your home.
Here’s what you need to know about the roof replacement benefits you’ll enjoy after installation:
- You’ll protect your home from storms, ice, hail and other harsh weather with a new roof. A new, weathertight roof can also prevent insects and critters from entering your home.
- A new roof can improve the energy efficiency of your home. New innovations in shingles and roofing materials limit solar heat gain by reflecting the sunlight and providing better insulation. You’ll pay less to cool your home in the summer and less to heat your home during cold Dayton winters too.
- When you replace your outdated roof with a newer one, you boost your home’s curb appeal. Old, curled, and missing shingles look tired, while new ones look fresh and crisp. It’s like giving your home a facelift!
- A new roof is also a smart investment in your home’s resale value. Many house hunters don’t want to go through the trouble of buying a new home and then have to pay for a brand-new roof a few years later. A new roof means they don’t have to worry about a roof replacement for many years.
Roof Damage: Roof Repair vs. Roof Replacement
Sometimes a roof can be repaired instead of replaced. How can you tell if your roof damage means it’s time for roof repair or a full replacement?
At American Way Exteriors, we specialize in caring for roofs and even offer emergency roof repair services. In the event of storm damage or a minor roof leak or if you notice an ice dam, we can sometimes repair your roof to last a few more years, but all too often, this is just a stopgap on the way to a new roof.
When done in a timely fashion, a roof repair can help your roof reach its lifespan. However, it’s important to know that delaying your roof replacement for too long can cause bigger problems down the road.
- Your roof is 20-25 years or older or was installed over an older roof
- Your roof has missing shingles
- Your shingles are curling, buckled, or wearing away
- Your roof valleys have missing shingles
- Your chimney flashing is made from outdated materials like tar or roof cement
- Your roof looks worn and dilapidated
- Your roof shows signs of extensive storm and hail damage or ice damming
- Your roof is leaking, or there are signs of moisture in the attic
Durable Roofing Materials to Match Your Home’s Style
There are many roof types to choose from, each of which can complement the style of your Ohio home whether your home is Cape Cod or Craftsman, Colonial or Contemporary.
What kinds of roofing materials can you choose from? Should you choose asphalt shingles or metal roofing? What about cedar shake shingles, slate or concrete roofing, or tile roofing? Are they viable options to withstand Ohio weather? Here are the best roofing options for Dayton-area homes:
If you’re looking for a different option, metal roofing may be the way to go. A metal roof can be installed over your existing roof and offers even better protection over asphalt shingles. Some styles like standing seam roofing can be combined with metal roofing to give you a modern farmhouse look, while other metal roofing is made to look just like traditional shingles.
Synthetic shingles, sometimes referred to as composite shingles, are impact resistant and can stand up to Ohio’s most severe weather conditions. They can add texture, charm, and character to your home’s exterior and are low maintenance and eco-friendly.
Your roofing contractor can help you identify the best roofing materials for your particular roof. Factors like the pitch of your roof, HOA requirements and flat roofs should impact your decision, and an experienced roofing installer can help you make an informed choice.
At American Way Exteriors, we use only trusted brands like Owens Corning and Brava Synthetic Shingles. You get to select from high-caliber roofing materials so you only have to worry about aesthetics and function—never quality.
Essential Parts of a Properly Working Roof System
Think of your home’s roof like its own ecosystem; each element relies on the others for success, and without one of these features, your roof can quickly become compromised. So what are the crucial parts of your roof system?
The Structure of Your Roof
- The slope of your roof refers to how sharply it’s pitched. It’s measured by the rise in inches for every foot of horizontal run.
- Your gutters and gutter system help carry water away from your roof so that water doesn’t collect.
- The roof deck is the surface of your deck, which is usually made from sheets of plywood or oriented strand board. You apply the roofing materials to the deck.
Sealing Your Home From Moisture
- Ice and water leak barriers are laid down to protect where water tends to collect. It’s an extra barrier to keep water from creeping in.
- Underlayment protects your home by blocking water from the roof deck to prevent rot, mold, and water damage.
Defend Against the Elements
- Flashing is installed at the seams and intersections as well as around other features like vent pipes, chimneys, valleys, and jointures.
- The drip edge is an L-shaped strip that allows water to run off the roof’s edge clear of the deck, eaves, and siding.
- Ridge cap shingles finish off the look of your roof at the peaks while also defending the ridge vent and highest seams from moisture.
- Ventilation strips are installed at the ridge and down slopes of your roof to allow air to enter and exit your attics safely while keeping moisture and pests out.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a New Roof?
One of the biggest reasons that homeowners dread getting a new roof is the price tag; they want to know how much it will cost to replace their roof. While there are a lot of factors at play in the cost of roof replacement, you can prepare yourself by knowing what will affect your bottom line.
What can influence the price of your roof installation?
- Roof pitch
- Removal of existing materials
- Ventilation repair
- Roof system components like gutters or skylights
What affects the installation process and the price? Here’s how your roof installation will go:
- Roofing shingles are delivered to your roof (which can be challenging if your roof has a steep pitch)
- We’ll lay down protection for your driveway, yard, windows, and garage, then tear off your old roofing
- New decking is laid down, followed by multiple leak barriers
- New shingles are installed, followed by the ridge cap
- We’ll clean up, including your entire yard, to ensure no stray materials are left behind
Roofing materials can cost between $100 and $1,000 per roofing square, or 100 square feet. Knowing your roof size can help you estimate the cost of new roof installation.
At American Way Exteriors, we know that no family saves its pennies with dreams of a new roof; we save for our kids’ college tuitions, traveling as a family, and creating unique memories. But when you need a new roof, you shouldn’t delay.
This is why we have financing available through Owens Corning. Our customers’ Owens Corning roofing projects are eligible for 0 percent financing for 12 months to ease the cost of roof replacement. We’ll even help guide you through filing insurance claims to get as much support from your insurance company as possible.
Roof Maintenance Requirements to Protect Your Warranty
Your roof is a major investment in shielding your home from the elements. If your roof protects your home, how do you protect your roof?
Regular Roof Maintenance
How should you maintain your home’s roof so that it lasts for years? Your roof must undergo routine screenings and maintenance. Small leaks and issues can quickly turn into big problems if left unmended, which is why preventative maintenance is so important.
You need to have a professional routinely examine your roof for damaged or loose shingles, leaks, or other developing issues before they become a larger problem. Sometimes just a few errant screws left by a well-meaning HVAC repair person or a downspout clogged with leaves and sticks can have disastrous effects.
Regular roof maintenance can extend the lifespan of your roof. To protect your roof warranty, it’s a wise idea to enroll in a commercial maintenance program and get routine roof inspections to know what’s going on. Think of it like a routine cleaning at the dentist or an oil change for your car at the mechanic.
Our Owens Corning roofing materials come with a fantastic warranty if something were to go wrong. The catch? There are only warranties on manufacturer’s parts and labor if you have a certified installation.
Each manufacturer has specifications for how their roofing materials should be installed for a warranty to be valid. Roofing shingles put on incorrectly by an inexperienced contractor could land you with a voided warranty.
We protect your roof warranty for your certified roof replacement by going above and beyond the manufacturer’s guidelines. Our work is so high quality that manufacturers even send their referrals to us!
How to Find a Local Roofer Near You
The most important decision you can make when installing a new roof is who you hire as your roofing contractor. What should you know about hiring a roofer?
Here are a few tips for finding a qualified contractor for your upcoming roof replacement:
- Does your contractor have an established, permanent presence in your community?
- Has the contractor you’re considering found a fair-valued balance between a reasonable price and quality products and workmanship?
- Is your contractor a storm chaser, knocking on your door after a hail storm? Or are they a local recommended, reputable firm?
- Will your contractor offer the terms and conditions of their work in writing?
- Is your contractor easy to get a hold of? Do they return your calls in a timely fashion?
- Does your contractor have workers’ compensation and liability insurance?
- Does your contractor specialize in roof replacements?
Ultimately, the most important thing is that you trust your roofing contractor. After all, you are placing your home’s exterior in their hands.
Local, Trusted Roofing Contractor in Dayton, OH
If you’re in search of a local roofing contractor you can trust in the Dayton area, it can be a challenge to even know where to start.
There’s a reason we’re Dayton’s premier roofing contractor. It starts with our customer service. From our first roof inspection to the final shingle, we are honest, we focus on open communication, and we’ll follow up with you at every step of the process.
We never skimp on materials because we want to provide our clients with a high-quality roof. Our mission is to bring value to our clients’ homes and enhance their property values. It’s not about profits; it’s about our clients. We install your roof so it’s made to last.
The best part? At American Way Exteriors, we treat all of our clients like family. We’re passionate about building a strong community and know that we aren’t just installing new roofs, we’re also providing a service.
We care about our neighbors—like those who have been ripped off by lesser contractors like this disabled veteran who was abandoned by a shady contractor who took his money, did poor work, and left the job unfinished. We replaced his roof at no charge because our philosophy revolves around taking care of our community
Say goodbye to inferior products and installation with our team of diligent, friendly contractors at American Way Exteriors. We’ve guided thousands of Ohio homeowners through the roof replacement process, installing new roofs with world-class craftsmanship and friendly customer service.
You need a roof that can withstand Ohio’s toughest weather conditions, from hot, humid summers to frigid, icy winters. Don’t waste any more time or money on a failing roof. Instead, hire a trustworthy contractor to restore your confidence in your property. At American Way Exteriors, we work hard to ensure that your investment will be covered and look great for years to come.
Ready to put a new roof over your head? Request a free quote today!