When Ohio temperatures drop each fall and winter, home sweet home can suddenly be invaded with pests such as stink bugs. Your home’s siding plays a role in protecting your home from these stinky pests. When you’re in the market for siding replacement, take a look at the multiple benefits of fiber cement siding. Its insect resistant qualities come in handy when bugs seek shelter as fall and winter approach.
Siding Can Play a Large Role in Preventing Stink Bugs from Entering Your Home
What Attracts Stink Bugs to a Home?
- Stink bugs gain entry into homes through cracks, crevices, gaps, and holes in your home’s foundation, windows, doors, soffits, attic, and under your home’s siding.
- Stink bugs feed on ornamental plants, and homeowners often use ornamental plants to border their home.
- Stink bugs seek shelter when it gets cold outside, and once they find an acceptable location, they release an aggregation pheromone that attracts other stink bugs to the location.
When Stink Bugs Enter Your Home, They Can Be Annoying
When weather turns cool, stink bugs tend to invade homes, particularly in Ohio. Fiber cement siding can help resist stink bugs and keep them from infesting your home when the weather changes. Stink bugs come by their name honestly… They are one of the smelliest pests that may try to enter a home. They don’t cause structural damage to homes, and they don’t bite, but they produce a pungent malodorous chemical, and their odor is readily transferred. Nobody wants the offensive smell a stink bug emits in their home.
If stink bugs enter your home, try to remove them with a vacuum. If you’re unable to control the stink bug population inside your home, contact a professional exterminator to save you aggravation, time, and money.
Damage Caused by Termites and Carpenter Ants
Stink bugs aren’t the only pests that can cause damage to your home. Termite damage causes over five billion dollars of property damage each year throughout the United States, and the damage isn’t covered by homeowner’s insurance. If you see discarded wings, cracked or distorted paint inside your home, or mud tubes forming on your home exterior walls, you may have termite infestation, and it needs prompt attention to avoid further damage.
Carpenter ants can hollow out lumber and make a nest inside your home. They live in hollow doors and behind insulated panels.
Thankfully, James Hardie fiber cement siding resists insects including termites, carpenter ants, stink bugs, and more.
Avoid Stink Bug Infestation by Installing Fiber Cement Siding
Many homeowners choose to replace their stucco or vinyl siding with fiber cement siding. Fiber cement siding offers durability, beauty, fire resistance, weather resistance and baked-on color that resists fading for up to 15 years. James Hardie fiber cement siding can do all this as well as protect your Ohio home from stink bug infestation. Pest resistant siding pays off tremendously over the years by helping you avoid the hassles of pest infestation—including stink bugs.
Here are some ways to avoid stink bug infestation this fall:
- Seal siding, windows, door frames, under fascia boards, and around water spigots.
- Check your roof vents and verify they have fully intact tight-fitting screens in them.
- Close the flue to your fireplace when you aren’t using it, and you’ll help keep stink bugs out of your home.
Get Precision Siding Installation with a James Hardie Elite Preferred Contractor
James Hardie fiber cement siding is built to last, but it needs to be properly installed in order to give you optimal performance for years to come. Caulking is a vital part of siding installation, and some contractors skip caulking all the seams on new siding, but American Way Exteriors doesn’t skip this important step, and your siding performs optimally as a result.
Replace Your Siding to Protect Your Home
Are you wondering how to know if it’s time for siding replacement?
Here are some signs it’s time for new siding:
- Are you tired of the dents and cracks your vinyl siding incurs from the smallest unsuspecting rock flung out of your lawnmower?
- Do you find yourself repairing your stucco siding constantly, and desire some new low-maintenance siding?
- Is your current siding infested with termites, stink bugs, or other insects? Ready for insect resistant siding?
- Do you have wood rot, mold, or mildew due to the compromised state of your current siding?
- Are you ready to halt moisture damage in its tracks to avoid costly repairs by investing in new siding?
- Is your current siding warped or cracked, opening your home to the possibility of moisture damage?
- Are you ready for a new look (such as the popular board-and-batten look) for your home exterior?
- Do you want to exchange high-maintenance wood siding for low-maintenance fiber cement siding so you can have more time to do the things you love most?
- Are you ready to optimize your home’s energy efficiency with new siding?
New siding can improve your home’s value, its beauty, and your curb appeal while protecting your home from the elements. James Hardie fiber cement siding delivers weather resistance, pest resistance, fade resistance, and more. It doesn’t warp, rot, or crack like other siding materials.
Why Homeowners Choose American Way Exteriors for Siding Installation
Siding material selection is a critical choice if you’re looking for beauty and durability. At American Way Exteriors, we specialize in James Hardie fiber cement siding installation. It’s the most durable siding product on the market and stands up to Ohio’s harshest elements. Its 30-year warranty gives homeowners peace of mind.
American Way Exteriors is the only James Hardie Elite Preferred Contractor in the Dayton, Ohio area. We go above and beyond the manufacturer’s guidelines when installing your siding so you get the high performance you deserve in your new siding.
Take a look at more details about fiber cement siding, and gain the needed knowledge to discover the best siding for your needs.